Our submissions department is currently open.
Please familiarise yourself with the following five points before you submit any work for consideration in our publication.
- Format. We prefer documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf formats. If you need to work with other formats, get in touch with us.
- Photography. If you are a photographer, have photographic material to accompany a written piece, or have a photographer you wish to work with, please send an email to [email protected], with ‘photography’ as the subject, describing your work and the story you wish to tell.
- Video. If you are a film-maker, have video footage to accompany a written piece, or wish to create a short, documentary-style piece for inclusion in our publication, please send an email to [email protected], with ‘video’ as the subject, describing your work and the story you wish to tell.
- Word Count. If uncertain, aim for a word count of 600 to 1,000 words. However, your story should be precisely as long as it needs to be, no longer and no shorter.
- Style. Our publication aims for a consistent style, which could be defined as: professional yet relatable, impartial yet empathetic, accurate and informative yet concise. For regional spelling differences–Australian, British, American, or other–use the type that is most natural to you. You are free to use colloquialisms that are specific to your region, provided you remain professional and are clear in your meaning. This is a global magazine, and it is intended to reflect the fact that people write (and speak) differently in different parts of the world. Finally, if you use academic references, please provide them; and, if you quote professionals, please provide sources.
what we are after:
‘Unsustainable’ is a magazine about the harm done by our species–to each other, to our fellow animals, and to the environment–and the ways in which people are attempting to prevent or undo this harm. We want stories that focus on one or more of our six core topics (climate, poverty, renewables, ecology, waste, and equality).
If you are an expert in a relevant field, or are passionate and well-read, we want to hear from you. If you have a unique perspective on a challenge or crisis facing the world today, we want to explore it. If you live in, or have visited, a region on the very frontiers of these global concerns, we’ll work with you to share your experiences and insights.
Our goal is to bring all of these stories to the world, to disseminate the facts of the challenges that face us in the hopes of increasing awareness of the seriousness of our situation, to make the average person aware of the many ways in which they can help, and to explore and promote the projects and initiatives–past and future–that are aimed at the greater good and the protection and preservation of this lonely blue speck, the only home any of us have ever known.
Please send all written material to [email protected]. We are looking for complete stories, and guest articles.
1. Complete stories. If your piece matches the ethics and aesthetics of our publication, or if we feel it has potential, our editorial team will work with you to prepare it for publication.
2. Guest articles. If you run your own publication–print or digital–or run a website or blog, and wish to promote yourself by submitting a guest article, we’d love to hear from you. All material will remain your property, you will be listed as the author when your story goes live, and we will link to your publication, website, or blog.